United States Air Force

The Oldest Insignia in the Air Force

 (Army Signal Corps)

On July 18, 1914, the Aviation Section of the Signal Corps was created, giving definite status to the air service for the first time. The only flying unit in the Aviation Section in addition to the Aviation School was the 1st Aero Squadron which, on August 5, 1914, had 12 officers, 54 enlisted men, and six airplanes assigned to it at North Island. Due to the shortage of aviation personnel and equipment, the officers and enlisted men of the squadron were also assigned duty with the Aviation School and the squadron's airplanes were used to teach aviation students how to fly. By October 1914, the squadron's strength had increased to 16 officers, 77 enlisted men, and eight airplanes, but its personnel and equipment still had to be shared with the Aviation School.

The training program at North Island was expanded in 1915 and early 1916 and more airplanes were purchased, among them the first of the famous Martin TT and. Officers with previous flying experience were transferred to the Aviation School, including Capt. F.P. Lahm as Secretary and as Supply Officer, and additional men were selected for flight training, destined to become the first USAF Chief of Staff in 1947. As of January 12, 1916, the Aviation Section had 46 officers, 243 enlisted men and 23 planes assigned.

 

Our Air Force Members:

 
  Last Name First Name Branch War
  O'Keefe Charles P. Air Force Korean
  Caissie Joseph L. Air Force Korean
  Coughlin Francis R. Air Force Korean
  Davis John S. Jr. Air Force Korean
  De Young Edward J. Air Force Korean
  Donovan Gerald J. Air Force WW II
  Fencl Warren E. Air Force Viet Nam
  Giacobbi Anthony S. Air Force WW II
  Gigliello Joseph A. Air Force Korean
  Keefe Robert J. Air Force Viet Nam
  Morrison Francis P. Air Force WW II
  Nestor Peter E. Air Force Viet Nam
  Squires Francis J. Air Force WW II
  Stewart Edward F. Air Force WW II
  Swenson John L. Air Force Korean
  Whalen Richard Air Force Viet Nam